Blepharoplasty: The Aftercare Guide
Blepharoplasty Dubai | 30 May 2019
Blepharoplasty – the surgical procedure of removing excess skin and fat around the eyes to remove eye bags and correct hooded, or drooping eyelids – is one of the simplest and most straightforward plastic surgery procedures you can have. It is one of the most popular cosmetic treatments which improves the appearance of the upper eyelids, lower eyelids, or both. A Blepharoplasty procedure can take as little as 30 minutes, but just as any other treatment or surgery, you’ll need to ensure that you follow all the aftercare instructions and advice (how to care for your eyes, medications to apply or take) to allow for a swift and smooth recovery.
What to expect following your Blepharoplasty procedure
Before you leave your cosmetic clinic, your cosmetic surgeon will go through Blepharoplasty aftercare guidelines with you and answer any questions you may have. Patient advisors should contact you regularly to follow-up on your progress and you should also be given 24-hour emergency numbers, to keep your mind at ease knowing that you can get in touch with your clinic whenever you feel the need to. On the day of your procedure, it is suggested that a family member or friend pick you up from the clinic and stay with you for the first 24 to 48 hours, until you are settled in and feel comfortable about acting autonomously.
While you’re comfortable at home, it is recommended that you follow the below general guidelines:
– Avoid lying down flat. By keeping your head elevated, you can reduce some of the swelling while also being more comfortable. Use 3-4 pillows when sleeping. A 45-degree angle is best and a travel pillow will provide support for your neck. During the first week, make sure to sleep on your back.
– Try not to bend forward or over for the next three weeks as this can increase swelling.
– For the first 24 hours, try and eat only liquid, nutritious food so as to exert your face as little as possible.
– DRINK WATER. We can’t stress enough how important it is for you to stay hydrated.
– Don’t skip any of your medication. It’s in your own interest to take it exactly as prescribed. When your pain lessens, you can switch to over-the-counter medicine like ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
– Don’t remove any steri-strips. It might be slightly uncomfortable, but please try not to touch the crusting around your stitches.
– Quit smoking and alcohol for at least 6 weeks prior to surgery and 3 months after. That way you’ll be ensuring that your body’s healing ability is performing at full capacity.
– Contact lenses shouldn’t be worn for 2 weeks.
– Wait at least a week until you start driving again. Use common sense – if you have trouble seeing, don’t drive.
– Use an SPF 30 sunblock or higher, regardless of your activities or the weather as your skin will be sensitive.
– Don’t use any fragranced skincare products. If you feel the need to apply skincare products, do so cautiously and stay away from the incision areas to avoid infection.
– Don’t apply any makeup until at least a week after your stitches have been taken out and the wounds have sealed. It’s best to avoid applying it until your eyes have completely healed in order to avoid scarring and infection. Note that using new products will further lessen the risk of infection.
– Don’t do any exercise other than walking, which is necessary daily so as to prevent blood clot formation.
The healing process
Depending on your body, you will be advised to take around 1 week off work. It’s normal to experience some bruising and swelling during your initial healing process. This isn’t anything to be alarmed about, and your surgeon and aftercare advisor will talk you through how to control any discomfort. Very few of our patients report any pain experienced with the bruising. Despite it being a minimal procedure, patients have expressed great joy at having opted for it. Women in particular, have been impressed at how much easier their morning routines are now that they can easily apply makeup, without having to deal with troublesome creases and folds. Most just tell of how much younger and more refreshed they feel thanks to these small tweaks.