Breast Augmentation – Pre-Surgery Checklist
Breast Augmentation Dubai | 14 August 2018
During your pre-surgery planning visit, you’ll be given a checklist to ensure you are ready for surgery. Here are 10 highlights from the list:
1) Discontinue all medications that thin the blood 2 weeks prior to surgery and for 5 days after surgery (i.e., aspirin, Motrin, Advil, Aleve, etc.).
2) Make sure your “at home” support team/caregiver will provide transportation to and from the surgical facility and be available to stay with you for at least 24 hours.
3) Fill prescriptions in advance and bring them with you to your surgery.
4) Do not eat or drink any food or water after midnight on the night before surgery. Do not drink alcohol 2 weeks before or after your surgery. Drink plenty of water the day before your surgery.
5) Take a shower the night before surgery and the day of surgery using DialTM soap.
6) Confirm the choices you and I have made for your procedure, including implant size.
7) Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothes that you do not have to pull over your head on theday of your surgery. We suggest slippers, a zip-up hoodie and pants with an elastic waistband.
8) Do not wear make-up, deodorant, perfume, hair products, lotions or jewelry to your surgery.
9) Decide where you are going to stay to avoid extended traveling.
10) Have prune juice on-hand to help prevent constipation following surgery, which can sometimes be caused by pain medication.
Breast Augmentation – Choosing your “at home” support
Breast Augmentation Dubai | 7 August 2018
Choosing your “at home” support team is a critical decision. They will be elevated to super-human status immediately following your surgery, and should be worthy of the role. Your “at home” care team must:
1) Be present at your final pre-surgery planning appointment tofully understand post-surgery instructions and to become familiar with all the items in your take-home supply kit.
2) Drop you off and pick you up on the day of surgery.
3) Stay with you throughout your first night at home.
4) Ensure you take all medications as scheduled and follow all instructions in your take home materials.
5) Not smoke in your recovery area.
6) Help you bathe, change clothing, prepare meals, and do allthe heavy lifting in the days following surgery.
7) Be prepared to stay up all night following surgery, if necessary.
Breast Augmentation – Preparing Emotionally
Breast Augmentation Dubai | 5 August 2018
I strive to ensure my patients are emotionally well-prepared for breast augmentation surgery. Being able to discuss any issue or question with me is a big part of identifying emotional concerns. I find most women who have breast augmentation surgery are realistic about the surgery and their anticipated results. Patients with a realistic outlook tend to have a better overall experience. Patients seeking breast enhancement for their own personal reasons – and not to fulfill someone else’s desires – also leads to better emotional satisfaction. Every patient will experience some degree of emotional stress and depression after surgery. Typically, this can reach its peak on Day 5 following surgery – due to very predictable physiological reasons (fluid retention, swelling,etc.). When patients are counseled properly to recognize the onset of this experience, they know it’s just a normal part of the healing process.
Breast Augmentation – EVALUATING THE TANGIBLES & INTANGIBLES
Breast Augmentation Dubai | 2 August 2018
As a patient who’s done their due diligence, you’ve arrived at your consultation because you were able to evaluate the “tangibles” of a surgeon’s reputation; things like education, experience, certifications and patient results. Now, during the consultation, it’s time to evaluate the “intangibles;” things like demeanor, personality, patience, passion, compassion and heart.
Do I feel a sense of trust?
Do I feel cared for?
Do I feel important?
Do I feel comfortable?
If you answer “no” to any of the above, chances are the surgeon is falling short on the equally important “intangibles” that can make or break your surgical experience. Pay close attention to your inner voice when evaluating matters of the heart.
Breast Augmentation – Did you know…
Breast Augmentation Dubai | 30 July 2018
– Most women have one breast that is slightly larger than the other.
– A saline breast implant saved a woman’s life during an otherwise tragic shooting in California.
– The Hong Kong Polytechnic University offers courses in manufacturing push-up bras.
– Breast Augmentation is the most popular plastic surgery procedure performed.
– Over 378,000 women had breast augmentation or breast lift surgery in the US last year.
– Most women who have breast augmentation are between 30 and 39 years old.
– Surprisingly, almost as many women over 40 had breast augmentations as did women in their 20s.
– Breast Implants, even silicone ones, do not interfere with breast feeding. In fact a clinical study showed higher levels of silicone in canned formula, than in breast milk of women with silicone implants.
– China ranks #1 in breast augmentation surgeries, surpassing the US, Brazil, India and Mexico.
BREAST AUGMENTATION – INCISION SITES
Breast Augmentation Dubai | 26 July 2018
It is important to know the pros and cons for the incision site and have the optimal solution specifically recommended for you.
Breast augmentation with cohesive silicone implants requires a larger incision site than saline implants. There are 3 common incision sites: around the nipple (periareolar), within the breast fold (inframammary), or under the arm (axillary or transaxillary).
Periareolar – This incision is typically more concealed, but since it also involves cutting through the breast tissue, it is associated with a higher likelihood of breastfeeding difficulties, as compared to the other incision sites. Cutting through the tissue may make a change in sensation or infection more of a concern.
Inframammary – This incision is generally less concealed than periareolar but it is associated with fewer breastfeeding difficulties than the periareolar incision site. It is also the most commonly used incision site at the present time because many surgeons feel it gives the best access to and control of the breast implant pocket.
Transaxillary – This incision is less concealed than periareolar and associated with fewer breastfeeding difficulties than the periareolar incision site. If the incision is made under the arm, the surgeon may use a probe fitted with a miniature camera, along with very small instruments, to create a “pocket” for the breast implant. This approach is more difficult, and may increase the risk of damage to, and unexpected location of, the implant.
What Gives the Breast Its Shape?
Breast Augmentation Dubai | 21 July 2018
The breast consists of milk ducts and glands, surrounded by fatty tissue that provides its shape and feel. Beneath the breast is the chest muscle (pectoralis major muscle).
Breast implants are used to make the breast larger or to restore/replace breast tissue. Factors such as pregnancy (when milk glands are temporarily enlarged), rapid weight loss, and the effects of gravity as you age combine to stretch the skin, which may cause the breast to droop or sag. However, it is important to realize that implants are used to make the breast larger. The implants alone may not adequately lift the breast, or correct the effects of pregnancy, weight loss, or skin stretching. I may suggest additional procedures at the time of the breast augmentation, such as mastopexy, to help achieve improved breast lift.
Breast Augmentation – Frequently Asked Questions
Breast Augmentation Dubai | 19 July 2018
What sizes can I choose?
There is an extensive range of breast implant sizes that will be offered to you. Following an assessment, I will advise the most appropriate size for your desired look. Implants sizes are measured in “cc” which is a unit of volume.
What are high, or extra high profiles?
“Profiles” refers to the amount of forward projection off the chest wall. You may choose a round or contoured implant depending on the profile you wish to achieve. Mentor round implants are offered in 5 projections: low, moderate, moderate plus, high and ultra high. Similarly, Mentor Contour Profile Gel breast implants (CPG) are offered in 4 projections: moderate, moderate plus, high or extra high.
Does breast augmentation leave a scar?
A breast enlargement incision is made in the crease under the breast (inframammary fold), usually measuring 3-5cm in length. I will discuss the size and placement of the incision with you before surgery. At first, the incision line will be red but after healing, it will fade to a thin white line – it can take up to a year to fully fade.
Do breast implants need to be replaced?
The length of time a breast implant lasts varies from individual to individual. The Medical Devices Agency has recommended that implants are replaced every 10-15 years or that you at least have an assessment during this time.
Why would you need your implants replacing?
Typically, patients will have their implants in for around 10 years and then opt for an implant removal and reaugmentation procedure. This will normally be due to the natural changes that the female body undergoes during this time. Pregnancy, breastfeeding, weight loss and the natural ageing of skin can mean that breasts could change in shape and size, meaning that implants no longer sit on the chest wall as they once did. There are instances of patients having their implants in for 30 years so it really does depend on your own body.
Does breast enlargement affect breastfeeding?
Breast implants will not normally prevent breastfeeding but may adversely affect the shape of the breast as may pregnancy itself. Women should expect physical changes to their bodies that could affect the aesthetic results of surgery and in some cases, it is advised that patients wait until after completion of their family or have achieved their optimum weight before surgery.
Like all plastic surgery, breast implant sizing is an art and a science
Breast Augmentation Dubai | 14 July 2018
Like all plastic surgery, breast implant sizing is an art and a science. To understand sizing, many factors must be considered. First is the aesthetic you wish to achieve. Aesthetics are often communicated in bra cup sizes, but more exact descriptions of desired breast shape and areas of fullness are important to consider. Often, a representative photo of desirable augmented breasts is useful to convey the look you want to achieve. Remember, each bra company calculates bra sizes differently, so using cup size alone as a parameter can lead to miscommunication between us.
Not all breast implants are created equal
10 July 2018
Breast implants are available in various shapes to accommodate different body types. Three measurements are necessary to understand the shape of a round implant. One is the diameter, which is the width of the implant. Second is the projection or “profile” of the implant. The profile of an implant measures the distance an implant projects outward from the chest wall. The third is the volume. Volume is the amount of space the implant occupies and is measured in cubic centimeters.
For a given volume, low profile implants have the least amount of projection and high profile implants have the greatest amount of projection from the chest wall. Moderate profile implants project between high and low profile implants. The same concept applies to implant diameter. If the implant diameters are the same, then the low-profile implant will project the least and have the smallest volume and the high-profile implant will project the most and have the greatest volume. The moderate profile is in between with moderate projection and volume.